Search This Blog

Thursday, October 6, 2011

Gateway 610....finished product

I finally got to finish that culprit of a pc, the Gateway 610 media center pc.  I took some pics of a few steps and procedures.  If you guys ever need any advice on how to undertake a similar project, just shoot me an email.  I can honestly say I feel good about accomplishing something like this.  I hope the customer is satisfied with it.  This pc does have something good about it.  It's sound is awesome!  I guess all that power the little subwoofer is pulling isn't just for show.  I've had this pc running an online radio service and have been having it on full blast rocking out to some Red Hot Chili Peppers and some Guns N Roses.  Some of the tools and materials I used were:
  • Heat shrink tubing
  • Heat gun
  • Spray paint primer and paint
  • Philips and flathead screwdrivers
  • Needle nose pliers
  • Wire cutters
  • Wire strippers
  • Soldering iron
  • Solder, flux, and metal braid
  • Electrical tape
  • Plastic cable clamps (to hold down and anchor the wires)
  • E6000 hobby glue/rubber cement















The culprit...Gateway 610 ALL-IN-ONE media center pc

















The source of the problem.  This VER. 0.0 PSU is underpowered for all that the pc has to offer.















Here is the replacement PSU.  I know, I know...it's ugly and bulky.  Well, that's nothing a little elbow grease and some imagination won't can't fix.















Here's another look at the replacement PSU.
















Here's a look at the back of the 610 Media PC with the old PSU, subwoofer, and back panel removed.  That's the little subwoofer on the left.  It actually sounds very good.















Took the PSU apart.  I prepped the case for painting by sanding it down and using a paint primer.


 Some pics of the painted PSU case.  I chose
a nice glossy black color.
 Here you can really see the nice look of the glossy paint.


























Here is the PSU taken apart and I am getting ready to cut and solder the wires together.















I had to recall my old soldering skills.  Not too bad for not having done this in a while.


Here, I used the heat shrink tubing to protect the solder points.















Using the heat gun on the 3/4" heat shrink tubing.  This bigger tubing was used to conceal all the wires.
**Use extreme caution when using a heat gun**









The following are pictures of the finished PSU put back together:

















Here, I jimmied the power connectors from the Gateway 610 onto the connector for the PSU.  Do you see how they split up the 20 pin connector into 2 connectors? The 4 pin 12V power connector is at the top.









Here, I'm securing the connectors with a little E6000 hobby rubber cement.  It's not something that's permanent but it will hold up pretty good.













The final product:



Hope you guys enjoyed this little novela and the pics.  I have to give credit where credit is due.  I could not have done this without a wonderful step-by-step take apart guide that I found here.  I also have to give recognition to my favorite electronics parts store EPO (Electronics Parts Outlet).  They've been a staple in the Houston community for electronics enthusiasts as myself and for hobbyists.

No comments:

Post a Comment